Sport là 1 chủ đề khá quen thuộc trong bài thi IELTS, chúng ta cùng xem qua những từ vựng liên quan đến chủ đề này nhé.
A cup competition
Có bạn nào tìm hiểu về bóng bầu dục không ạ? Nếu quan tâm về môn thể thao này chắc hẳn bạn sẽ biết tới Heineken Cup. Đây là đoạn văn nói về Heineken Cup.
In the to European cup competition in rugby, 24 teams are divided into six groups. Each team plays the others in their group at home and away, and the six group winners qualify for the knockout stage of the competition, along with the two best runners-up from the six groups. The rest are eliminated.
In the draw for the quarter-final round the top four dreams play at home and can’t be drawn against each other.
The two teams that get through their semi-final then play the final at a neutral venue, and victory for the winners gives then automatic qualification the following year.
1. Rugby/ˈrʌgbi/ bóng bầu dục
2. At home: If a team plays at home, they play in their own stadium. Opp: away
3. Qualify for sth/ˈkwɒlɪfʌɪ/ :be good enough to enter a competition.
4. Knockout /ˈnɒkaʊt/ : in a knockout competition the winner at each stage continues in the competition, but the loser is no longer in it.
5. Runner(s)-up: a person or team who comes second in a competition.
6. The rest (of sth): the remainning people or things, the others.
7. Eliminate/ɪˈlɪmɪneɪt/ sb from sth (thường dùng ở dạng bị động) loại khỏi cuộc thi . Đồng nghĩa với knock sb out of sth.
8. Draw: rút thăm/ trận đấu hòa.
9. Round: vòng đấu.
10. Get through to sth: reach the next stage in a competition.
11. Neutral/ˈnjuːtr(ə)l/ : not belonging to either of the teams who are playing.
12. Venue /ˈvɛnjuː/ địa điểm tổ chức.
13. Victory /ˈvɪktəri/ success in a game, war.. => victorious /vɪkˈtɔːrɪəs/ adj.
B. Playing well and playing badly.
Chúng ta cùng học thêm 1 số từ mới rất hữu ích khi miêu tả các trận đấu nhé.
1. Form: the way in which sb is performing.
2. League/liːg/: giải đấu.
3. a (good/bad) run: a period of performing well or badly.
4. Unbeaten: not having lost.
Ví dụ: At the beginning of the season our form in the league was poor, but we’ve had a good run lately, and we’re unbeaten now in five games.
5. dominate /ˈdɒmɪneɪt/ chiếm ưu thế.
6. on the verge : near to the moment of doing or achieving sth.
7. give sth away: lose a game, point, competition through a bad mistake.
Ví dụ: We dominated the game and were on the verge of winning, then we gaveaway a silly penalty.
Thanks for reading!